Respiratory protection is only effective if it is correctly selected, fitted and worn throughout the time when the wearer is exposed to respiratory contaminants. Disposable respirators are only effective when there is a good seal between the edges of the respirator and your face. The instant this seal is broken protection is compromised as contaminated air can leak in through any gaps.
These fitting instructions must be followed each time a 3M Cupped respirator is worn.
Be clean shaven. Do not wear with beards or other facial hair that prevent a good seal to the face. Do tie back long hair and remove jewellery so that it does not interfere with the seal to the face.
1a. Pre-stretch entire length of each strap by pulling between two hands. (This requirement only applies to 3M 8710, 8210 and 8110S respirators).
1b. Cup respirator in one hand, with fingertips positioned at nosepiece and straps hanging below the hand.
2. Place the respirator in one hand and against your face. Position the respirator under the chin with the nosepiece across the bridge of your nose.
3a. Pull the top strap resting it high over the crown of your head.
3b. Pull the bottom strap over your head then position it around your neck and below your ears. Straps must not be twisted.
4. Using both hands, mould nose clip to the shape of the nose bridge by pushing inwards while moving your fingertips down both sides of the nosepiece.
Pinching the nose clip using one hand may result in a less effective respirator performance. Use two hands.
Face Fit Check – every time before entering the hazardous area.
5. Cover front of the respirator with both hands taking care not to disturb its fit.
- When using an unvalved respirator, exhale
sharply. If the respirator bulges slightly and no air leaks are detected between the face and the respirator, a proper seal has been obtained. Then work may proceed.
- When using a valved respirator, inhale
sharply. The respirator should collapse slightly indicating a proper seal has been obtained. Then work may proceed.
Also follow “Warning about Face Fit Check” below.
The respirator is correctly worn as shown here.
Warning about Face Fit Check
- If air leaks around the nose, re-adjust the nose clip to eliminate leakage by repeating step 4. Repeat Face Fit Check.
- If air leaks at the respirator edges, work the straps back along the sides of your head to eliminate leakage. Repeat Face Fit Check.
If you cannot achieve a proper fit, repeat steps 2-5.
If you cannot achieve a proper fit, DO NOT enter the hazardous area. Consult your supervisor.
Download a Printable PDF of these instructions
Posted in Training and Procedures